Budapest to the Black Sea

Budapest to the Black Sea

Thursday 7 November 2013

Black Sea or Bust - Day 17 Silistra - Murfatlar 114 Km (71 miles)

A long ride with hills, numerous if not steep, predicted by the Guide book, so definitely a first light 'no breakfast' Bulgarian start. In less than ten minutes I am across the border back into Romania and climbing the first of the hills which is a big one, but as the sun rises so do my spirits. The views are magnificent, to my left the Danube and to my right vast sweeping landscapes, the sort of landscapes that stir the soul. Pretentious but true. It's a hard day's ride but the terrain changes all the time, I stop to watch a village football match, at lunchtime I ride through a valley dotted with Roman remains. Hills or not, a great day for cycling and I arrive at my hotel which is tucked away down a 500m track in a Nature Park well before the light starts to fade. Irritatingly I get a puncture, my first of the trip, just as I arrive. 

They are not expecting me but rooms are available so no problem. There is a wedding in full swing and for supper I am parked in an empty corner of the reception. It's pretty loud and for my money the further you go east in Europe the worse the music gets. However I have the capacity to write the blog in almost any circumstances except sitting in a quiet room. My favourite writing places are airport departure lounges, very productive. So while I tap away at my I-Pad the wedding guests perform endless dances where they all link hands in a big circle, then move in, move out, a step to the left. It's so silly, why bother?

I sleep well despite the thump thump of the wedding going on late into the night below me.

No comments:

Cycling Down the Danube

Cycling Down the Danube
The Map